How Lavendar Lemonade Can Ease Anxiety
It’s no secret that we live in a world full of stressors, many of which create anxiety and headaches! While chiropractic care can certainly help with both, we wanted to offer our readers a delicious recipe to use in between visits- lavender lemonade.
Pure lavender oil is an amazing essential oil for overall health and wellness. It is gentle, yet powerful, boasting anti-inflammatory, antifungal, antidepressant, antiseptic, antibacterial, antimicrobial, antispasmodic, analgesic, detoxifying, hypotensive, and sedative properties.
Several clinical trials have tested and proven the efficacy of lavender oil and its uses in aromatherapy.
- Dunn and colleagues demonstrated anxiolytic activity of lavender oil aromatherapy in patients in intensive care units. Subjects received at least 1 session of aromatherapy with 1% lavender essential oil. Significant anxiolytic effects were noted in the 1st treatment, though 2nd and 3rd treatments did not appear to be as effective.
- Tysoe and colleagues conducted a study of lavender oil in burner use on staff mood and stress in a hospital setting. A significant number of respondents (85%) believed that lavender aroma improved the work environment following the use of the lavender oil burners.
- Diego and colleagues demonstrated that people receiving lavender oil (10%) olfaction for 3 minutes felt significantly more relaxed and had decreased anxiety scores, improved mood and increased scores of alpha power on EEG (an indicator of alertness), and increased speed of mathematical calculations.
- Lewith and colleagues investigated the effects of lavender aromatherapy on depressed mood and anxiety in female patients being treated with chronic hemodialysis.59 The effects of aromatherapy were measured using the Hamilton rating scale for depression (HAMD) and the Hamilton rating scale for anxiety (HAMA). Lavender aroma significantly decreased the mean scores of HAMA, suggesting an effective, noninvasive means for the treatment of anxiety in hemodialysis patients.
With all of these proven benefits of lavender oil, we wanted to offer an easy and delicious way for our clients to use it in everyday life! Check out this recipe for Lemonade with Lavender Essential Oil.
1 cup raw honey
5 cups pure water
1 tablespoon dried culinary lavender (optional 1 drop of Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade lavender essential oil- make sure your bottle says it is safe for consumption)
lavender sprigs for garnish
1. Pour ½ the water in a pan, bring to boil and remove from heat
2. Add honey and dried lavender – let steep for approximately 20 minutes
3. Strain mixture and pour into a large container
4. Add lemon juice and the remaining water- stir well
5. Drink and enjoy! Refrigerate leftovers