Chiropractic medicine has been around for thousands of years, and yet, many people still do not understand it. With so many skeptics, misinformation, and lack of knowledge amongst the general public surrounding chiropractic, at Back Into Balance we aim to keep our patients and audience informed and adjusted. Check out these 8 things that most people don’t know about chiropractic!
1. Pain is the last symptom of dysfunction. A patient’s spine is often restricted or unstable long before it presents as a problem and they show up in our office. It’s also important to note that the absence of pain is not health! Masking dysfunctions in the spine with medication does not correct or cure the problem, it simply covers it temporarily.
2. Athletes used chiropractors to stay well and perform better, not just for pain relief. Athletes use chiropractors because we are movement specialists. I guarantee with the Olympics approaching, you will see chiropractors all over the coverage. Amazing athletes such as Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Michael Phelps, Tom Brady, Evander Holyfield, and Arnold Schwarzenegger all have used chiropractors and swear by their ability to improve their game.
3. Doctors don’t do the healing. News flash: a chiropractor will never fix your back. What we will do, is restore proper motion in your joints, relieving tension on the nerves and muscles, and allowing your body to heal itself as it’s designed to do.
4. Chiropractic is for all ages. Chiropractic is safe and effective for all ages, whether the patient is 1 hour old, or 104 years old. According to a chiropractor serving Matthews, NC, Chiropractors help increase range of motion, balance, and coordination, decrease joint degeneration, encourage healthy brain and nervous system development, and everything in between.
5. We know about more than just your spine. Many chiropractors give advice on nutrition, fitness, and lifestyle choices because want want to support your overall wellness journey.
6. Chiropractic may help you get sick less often. Research shows that adjustments consistently reduce the production of pro-inflammatory mediators associated with tissue damage and pain, and may also enhance the production of immunoregulatory complexes important for healthy immune system defense. As far back as the deadly flu pandemic of 1917-1918, chiropractors noticed that their patients seemed to have fewer fatalities than among the general population and were able to publish their work in an osteopathic journal since no scholarly journals were accepting chiropractic data. The estimated death rate among patients of conventional medical care in the U.S. was estimated at 5 to 6 percent while the fatality rate among influenza cases receiving spinal adjustments was estimated at 0.25%!
7. Adjustments don’t hurt. The “cracking” sound many hear during an adjustment is called a cavitation and is simply space being created within the joint, causing gasses to be released from the joint capsule.
Looking for a chiropractor in Centurion? Get in touch with The Chiropractors.